Our Favorite Tip:
The best time to shop for apartments is about two weeks before your earliest possible move-in date, preferably in the middle of the month, when tenants have vacated the apartment by the beginning of the month and the management has had a chance to clean up the unit in preparation for showing.
Create a spreadsheet with
– # of Bedrooms
– Contact Info
– Status (have you emailed? called? when do you plan to see it?)
WHAT TO BRING:
– Notebook & Pen
– Contact info for past landlords, jobs, and managers
– Print out copy of credit report (just in case)
WHAT TO ASK:
– What are the lease terms? 1 Year? 6 Months?
– Are there income requirements? (Do you need to make 2x the rent? 3x the rent?)
– Does the owner allow a cosigner? (In case you don’t meet the income requirements)
– Laundry in the unit? In the building?
– Have they received a lot of applications?
– Who covers utilities?
– How much storage space/closets does it have?
1. Call, don’t email. You’ll get a faster response.
2. Make an appointment to see the apartment before the Open House. Remember, it’s first come first serve. If you get your application in first and it goes through, the apartment is yours.
3. Speaking of first come first serve, be ready to take it on the spot.
4. Be aggressive! It’s competitive out there.