We all know about the amazing zoo in Omaha, the beautiful botanical gardens and the terrific history lesson you'll get when visiting the Durham. But what about those not-so-famous, but still fun activities that are a must for our summer to-do list?
The Top Five Things to put on your Summer To-Do list (in or around Omaha)
5. World's Largest Ball of Stamps - Located at Boys Tow, this sphere is 32 inches in diameter, weighs 600 pounds, and contains a reported 4,655,000 canceled stamps. It was stuck together, layer upon layer, by the sticky tongues and fingers of the Boys Town Stamp Collecting Club starting in 1953.
4. Gerald R. Ford Birth site and Gardens - U.S. President Gerald R. Ford lived here for a couple of weeks after his birth in July 1913. It was the home of his paternal grandparents, Charles Henry and Martha King.
3. Brownville - historic town about an hour from Omaha. Right on the river, it has a cute main street, great art galleries, a nature center and delicious ice cream at The Bluebird Cafe..
2. Squirrel Cage Jail - one of only three still remaining (all are museums) and the only 3-story ever built, this jail has three floors of revolving pie-shaped cells inside a cage. You just need to visit - it is inexplicable.
1. Fremont Splash Station - with an interactive Train Slide, Splash Pad, Hydro-Storm AND MORE, this is a must to visit at least once per summer. NOTE: call ahead, they close for water emergencies every now and then!
What else do you plan on doing this summer? Have a fun summer everyone!